Thursday, July 22, 2010

Do I really need to buy a UPS to protect my equipment?

A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) has internal batteries to ensure that continuous power is provided to your equipment even during a power outage. Of course the UPS can only provide power for a short while, typically a few minutes, but that is often enough to ride out power company glitches or brief outages. Even if the outage is longer than the battery life of the UPS, it provides the opportunity to shutdown your equipment properly.

Rural areas are particularly susceptible to power issues but problems can occur anywhere at anytime. Spikes occur when lightning strikes a transformer. Surges occur when high-powered electrical motors are turned off, releasing extra voltage into the line. Spikes and surges can damage many components including the monitor, motherboard, hard drives or processor. Blackouts and brownouts can also ruin data saved on the hard drive; of course, any work in progress is lost if the lights blink for a moment and you are not connected to a UPS.

Everyone should have a battery back-up or Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for their computer systems, modem/router, and even for laptop computers. Having a laptop that runs on AC with battery removed and plugged in a UPS is considered a best practice. I consider this to be essential especially in areas where there are frequent spikes and surges. I lost a system (motherboard) once because my UPS was too old and no longer functioning. If you don't have a UPS or you have one that is over 3 years old, it is time to get a new one or replace the battery in the old one. Prices are very reasonable now for a decent UPS, and many come with automatic shutdown software in case you are unavailable to shut it down manually. It is also very important to get a UPS that is strong enough to carry the load of your system for a few minutes. Avoid buying unknown brands as they often fail early or are not truly as strong as they claim. If you can not afford a UPS, consider unplugging the computer when not in use. These actions will minimize the chance of major system failure and insure that if the worst does happen, and the computer dies, your valuable data doesn't go down with the system.

Feel free to contact me here if you need help with purchasing a new UPS

4 comments:

  1. Sandy, I completely agree with everything you've said. I live in an apartment building in Nyack. We have frequent outages and when the A/C kicks on you can see the lights dim.

    I have been using the UPS not only for the computer, but also my TV and stereo.

    In 12 years we have burned though 3 refrigerators and I am sure the power supply is the reason for the early failures.

    I had tried some cheaper unknown brands and like you said they failed in less then 2 years. My first APC, before replaceable batteries, lasted 5 years.

    Last year, an after Thanksgiving sale at Staples, had a small APC UPS on special, loss leader I think. I bought 4 more just to have them around. I found that a larger UPS is much more expensive the small ones, so I just plug one item in each small one to avoid overloading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that Staples sale...it was a 350VA unit. I grabbed one too. I use the smaller units to back up my modem, router and ooma phone system. APC is the most reliable for sure and the batteries are user replaceable. I wish there was a place for one in my kitchen for the fridge, but alas there is not. Luckily my kitchen appliances and TV/Stereo/Surround setup have not been affected. Though the TV/Stereo setup is on a pretty good surge suppressor that cuts power completely in the even of even a slight brownout. Your advice is well taken and well received...thanks for contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete